The Nixy Ventus electric pump (released in 2021) has an active cooling system that promises to inflate ten iSUPs in sequence.
All inflatable paddleboard owners should be excited to hear this since we all know inflating our SUPs is a real workout. Especially if you have to pump up several of them in a row.
My family has 3 iSUPs (wife, son, myself), but we hardly used them because I was exhausted by the time I finished inflating the third one.
To get an electric pump, right?!
Not so fast.
Most electric pumps heat up quickly and struggle to inflate 2 iSUPs in succession. They overheat and shut off.
In this Nixy Ventus electric pump review, I’ll show you how I put the pump to the test to determine if it holds up to its promises.
Unboxing the Nixy Ventus electric pump
The pump arrives in a branded box, inside of which you’ll find the carry-bag.
It’s fantastic to get a carry bag, because you get a place to put all of the accessories that come with the pump. These are:
- the pump
- 10′ (3 m) 12V DC connector (cigarette lighter plug-in)
- 12V battery cable extension
- 4′ (1.2 m) flexible non-kinking air hose
- 7 nozzles that can fit 99.9% of inflatables
- Extra gaskets in case they wear out
Most other electric pumps do not have a carry bag, so you ended up losing the nozzles, extra rings, etc.
Features of the Nixy pump
The pump looks nice. Simple and elegant.
It is made out of thicker plastic, so it feels like a quality product, not a flimsy plastic pump. The soft rubber carrying handle is remarkably comfortable to hold.
The main features of the pump are:
|Nixy Ventus specifications|
|Max pressure||20 PSI|
|Deflation||Yes, it makes deflating an inflatable so convenient|
|iSUP capacity||10 SUPs in succession|
|Pumping speed||350 ltr/min at stage 1, 70 ltr/min at stage 2|
|Size||10” (25.4cm) x 8” (20.32cm) x 5” (12.7cm)|
|Weight||4 lbs (1.8 kg)|
|Cord length||10 foot (3 m) long 12V DC connector (cigarette lighter), plus a 12V battery clamp extension|
|Extra features||Active cooling|
LCD that lets you know what is going on
Auto shot-off at whatever PSI or bar pressure you set
7 valve connectors (nozzles)
An optional battery pack that has enough power for 3 sups
Its worth noting that there are 3 ways to power this pump:
- The 10′ cord plugs into a car 12V DC connector
- The pump includes a 12V battery clamp addon, so you can use your car’s battery to power the pump
- Using this rechargeable battery pack that is sold separately, you can inflate 3 SUPs away from the car as well
This pump has more features and accessories than any other electric pump on the market in 2021.
How to use the Nixy Ventus pump
Using an electric pump should be easy. And it is.
- Unfold and lay your iSUP flat on the ground.
- Unwind the chord from the bottom of the pump and plug it into your car’s 12V DC socket (cigarette lighter socket). Alternatively, you can use the clamp extension to connect it straight to a 12V car battery, or the optional battery pack.
- Connect the hose to the pump and the iSUP. I like placing the pump on the iSUP for the entire inflation process, so it doesn’t take in any dust/sand from the ground.
- Set the target pressure to whatever your watercraft needs (usually 15 PSI for iSUPs).
- Press the GO button.
Inflation starts instantly with the stage I compressor, which pumps 350 L/min.
At around 1.3 PSI, the pump fires up the stage II compressor, which pumps 70 L/min.
The auto-shutoff feature turns the pump off automatically when it reaches the set pressure.
The active cooling system does not turn off right away. It stays on to cool the compressor, so you will still hear a gentle humming noise from the pump.
How fast does the Nixy Ventus pump inflate a SUP?
The Nixy Ventus will inflate a SUP in 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of the board. Its performance does not degrade if you want to pump up more SUPs.
How quickly does the Nixy Ventus inflate an inflatable boat or kayak?
The Ventus pumps out a lot of air until it gets to 1.3 PSI. 350 liters per minute, to be exact. If your inflatable boat’s or kayak’s air chambers only require this much pressure, it would take 1-2 minutes per chamber.
High-end boats and kayaks need around 3 PSI pressure, which means the stage II compressor would kick in, pumping 70 liters per minute. Such air chambers would take about 2-3 minutes per chamber.
How many iSUPs can the Nixy Ventus inflate?
The marketing material of the pump states that the Nixy Ventus can inflate 10 SUPs in succession.
This would be a first-ever for such a small electric pump, so I decided to put it to the test.
Nixy Ventus Multi-board Inflation Testing conditions
- SUPs – 5 boards, one of them double-chambered, meaning I had 6 chambers to inflate
- Target pressure – 15 PSI in each chamber
- Date: June 8, 2021, 11 am
- Location: 47°45’05.9″N 19°05’04.2″E (Danube river)
- Temperature: 81°F (27°C), with the pump in partial shade
Important note: I did not let the pump rest for any longer than it took to get the next SUP, so that it would not cool down naturally.
The result of this ultra-scientific test was clear:
- The Nixy Ventus had absolutely no problems inflating 5 boards (6 air chambers to be precise) to 15 PSI in quick succession.
- The pump did not get warm at all.
- The pump’s performance remained the same, meaning it did not push out less air as time passed.
Based on this, I can easily imagine that the pump can, indeed, inflate 10 SUPs in a row.
To make this review of the Nixy Ventus pump complete, I recorded a video of the entire test.
Who is the Nixy Ventus pump for?
The Nixy Ventus is a universal electric pump that can inflate any inflatable watercraft, including inflatable boats, kayaks, and SUPs.
I would recommend it to:
- People who are just tired of pumping their boats/boards
- People (families) who have to pump 2 or more SUPs in a row
- SUP outfitters and rental shops
About the company
Nixy Sports was established in 2013 by Ale and Nicolas Szczedrin, a family that loved the outdoors (camping, hiking, kayaking) and fell in love with paddleboarding.
They realized that they could design iSUPs that were durable, high quality, and had extra features that paddlers need. Thus, Nixy Sports was born out of their personal passion.
The company is based in Southern California, and sells high-quality inflatable paddleboards and related gear.
Warranty and returns
Nixy provides a 30-day money-back guarantee on the Ventus pump in case you don’t like it.
The company has a 1-year warranty on the Nixy Ventus pump.
Nixy Ventus vs. Outdoormaster Shark pump comparison
The only alternative to the Nixy Ventus I can think of is the Outdoormaster Shark pump.
Here is a comparison of the 2 pumps:
Nixy Ventus electric pump
Outdoormaster The Shark II pump
The two pumps cost approximately the same, so in the battle between the Nixy Ventus vs. the Outdoormaster Shark for best electric pump, the winner is the Nixy Ventus.
Opinion of the Nixy Ventus
This pump is one of a kind in 2021. There are no other retail electric pumps that can do what this can.
If you are looking for an electric pump to inflate 2, 3, or even 10 SUPs, you found it.
I’ll be using this pump exclusively with my inflatables from now on and will update this article if anything goes wrong.
Nixy Ventus Electric Pump
It can inflate 10 iSUPs in a row!
Best electric pump in 2021
The Nixy Ventus is a high-quality universal pump that comes with various nozzles, so you can inflate boats, kayaks, SUPs, pool toys, etc. It uses active cooling technology to inflate 10 (or even more) SUPs in succession. No other pump can do that.
Its array of features, range of accessories, and sheer power is the reason I consider it the best electric pump of 2021.
Check today’s price on: