Many people don’t realize that many soft inflatable boats (SIBs) can be equipped with an outboard motor. But why would anybody want a motorized propulsion system, when you have oars?
There are loads of practical and recreational reasons:
- Gliding on the water in a boat with a motor feels great!
- Getting from A to B is quicker than using oars.
- Traveling longer distances.
- Dinghies used as tenders for larger boats may need to be seaworthy.
- Fishing boats need a motor, since they are packed and heavy.
- And most importantly, sometimes you would rather relax than row.
In this article, we’ll discuss the different types of soft inflatable boats that can be equipped with an outboard motor, what you need to know about motors and my recommendations on boat-motor pairings. Read more